Visit an Inmate
An inmate may have up to five visitors listed on an approved visitors list at any one time. These five persons must be cleared and approved before they will be allowed to visit. Changes to an inmate’s visitor list will be in writing and at least a week in advance before the desired visit. Frequent or weekly changes to an inmate’s visitor list will not be allowed.
Designated visiting hours are as follows:
- Protective custody or juveniles: Saturday, 2-3 p.m.
- Females: Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday, 6-7 p.m.
- Males: Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday, 7-9 p.m.
All inmates are allowed one 15 minute visit per week. Inmates may have visitors on only one of the three days listed above.
Rules for visitors regarding visitation:
- Visitors must register.
- Must have proper identification with picture.
- Must be cooperative and orderly.
- Must not litter in the visitation area.
- Children under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Proof of guardianship is required.
- Visitors are subject to search.
- All visitors will be properly dressed or they will be denied visitation.
- Any visitor who appears to be under the influence of an intoxicant will be denied visitation and may be arrested.
- A maximum of 1 visitor will be allowed in the visiting room at a time. A parent or legal guardian must accompany a juvenile.
- Convicted felons will not be allowed to visit inmates; the Jail Captain must approve any exceptions.
Inmates under disciplinary detention, classification holding or medical isolation will be denied visits from family or friends. This restriction does not apply to attorneys, physicians, bondsmen, or ministers.
Jail inmates are allowed to receive mail and should be addressed to:
P.O. Box 247
Phoenix, MD 21131
The mail is then scanned and viewed by the inmate on a tablet at the jail in their housing unit. Money for inmates can still be sent to 1 East Main Street, Christiansburg, VA 24073, ATTENTION RECORDS, and once it is received, it will be deposited in the inmate’s financial account. This money should be in the form of money orders or certified check. No personal checks will be accepted.
Juvenile must be 15 or older and pre-approved to visit with a guardian.
Inmates may subscribe to any newspaper or magazine ONLY if it comes directly from the publisher. The following exceptions are not allowed:
- Pornographic material;
- Publications that violate U.S. Postal regulations;
- Publications that may affect the jail security; or
- Publications that could be used to promote illegal activity.
Inmates are responsible for paying the subscriptions and forwarding them when they leave this institution. There is no limit on the amount of mail that an inmate may receive or send; however, accumulations of mail and/or paperwork will be limited to prevent fire hazards and will be released by the inmate to family or friends.
The mailing address for the Montgomery County Jail is:
[Inmate's full name]
Montgomery County Jail
1 E. Main Street
Christiansburg, VA 24073
Inmates may receive the following items from visitors: eyeglasses, contacts, money, hearing aids and prescription medications. All items brought into the facility for the inmate are inspected and signed for by the person bringing them in and the receiving deputy. All items brought to the jail for inmates are given to the inmate as soon as possible. Inmates, once classified, have access to commissary items and may place an order each week.